- Job Title: Senior Backend Web Developer
- Location: Oval, London Office
- Function: Development
- Reporting To: Lead Developer
- Direct Reports: None
- Salary: Competitive
- Duration: Permanent
The senior backend web developer role
We are looking for a driven, self-motivated backend developer with exceptional experience creating efficient and scalable APIs to join our exciting in house development team.
The successful candidate will have seasoned experience building applications in Laravel and PHP. A good understanding of the front-end and the development process as a whole is a must.
The candidate will report to the Lead Developer but will have significant daily contact with the Senior Digital Project Manager and Senior Front End Developer.
Key roles and responsibilities
The day to day responsibilities a Senior Backend Developer
- Develop backend systems and APIs to communicate with our front-end applications
- Building reusable code and libraries for future use
- Optimisation of applications for maximum speed and scalability
- Implementation of security and data protection
- Design and implementation of data storage solutions
The candidate will need to have:
- Expert PHP skills
- Use of MVC design patterns and frameworks such as Laravel, Symfony
- Expert knowledge of relational and non-relational database and storage solutions (MySQL, Postgres, Mongo)
- Strong understanding of front-end workflows and best practises.
- Expert knowledge of GIT and the command line
- Experience with continuous integration tools such as Jenkins is a plus
- A strong personality, passion for the job and a “can do” attitude.
- Credibility and honesty – trusted to tell it how it is and put your hands up when things go wrong.
- Strategic focus – an ability and flexibility to translate short term initiatives and outcomes into fulfilment of long term goals.
- Be able to step away from the numbers and engage with senior management on terms that are relevant to them.
- Good communicator to ensure that senior management understands the numbers and the business strategy to achieve the numbers.>
- Ability to communicate the importance of financial and business imperatives to non-financial staff.
- Common sense, drive and initiative.
- Willingness to take risks; open to ongoing change.
Our approach to a technology stack is the right tool for the job and we continually evaluate our tools, libraries and frameworks to ensure we are on top of best practices. Currently we are using the following:
- PHP with Laravel
- Continuous integration (Jenkins)
- Git (Bitbucket)
We work in an agile environment using Jira and SCRUM to help facilitate this. This allows us to take an MVP approach to new products we’re building and continuously test, learn and build.
All developers on our team have influence over what tools and methodologies we adopt. We regularly hold an informal session where we discuss our setup and new developments in the industry that may be worth considering.
We currently have two large web applications being developed, one for an international sport brand, the other for a large UK gym chain. These applications are single page react applications that communicate with a custom built API in Laravel.
Our standard working hours are 9.30 to 5.30. However, the nature of the job requires a degree of flexibility, with the possibility of evening and weekend work. While we endeavour to be fair and reward hard work, we expect that these additional hours will be worked without any further remuneration.
- Enrolment in company pension scheme from April 2017
- Company bonus incentive & away weekend
- Ride to work scheme
- Season ticket loan
- Company supply breakfast every morning
- 4:30pm finish on a Friday for staff drink n learn presentations
- 25 days holiday. Additional day added for every year of service up to 28 days
Mediablaze is a world-leading strategic digital agency with vast experience of building successful media brands. Our approach is to use customer insight to shape remarkable content-powered digital experiences – and help brands to embrace an agile, test-and-learn approach to both application development and digital marketing.
We have recently announced an exciting partnership with Hearst-owned global digital marketing agency iCrossing, that will see us utilise iCrossing’s data expertise and audience insight as a cornerstone of creating brand digital and content strategies.
Our in-house team of developers and creative technologists are expert at building platforms and products that deliver content-powered digital experiences for ongoing digital engagement across all devices. From web to native, to wearable and the internet of things, we’re working on the next generation of applications that connect brands with real people. With clients including Speedo, Jaguar Landrover, Timberland, Everyone Active, Volvo there’s no shortage of exciting work.
Tel: 0203 176 2632