Could this be your next role?
- Job Title: Senior Front End Developer
- Location: London SE1 (Waterloo, London Bridge)
- Function: Digital
- Salary: Competitive
- Duration: Permanent
Mediablaze is a world-leading digital agency with unrivalled editorial expertise. Founded by digital specialists, editors and publishers with a vast experience of successfully growing brands, we use customer insight to shape remarkable, feature-rich, digital experiences that meet clearly defined objectives.
We are currently seeking a Senior Front End Developer to join our dedicated digital team. Our new recruit will bring an inquisitive mindset for how things are put together, bags of energy and enthusiasm for their craft. A collaborative work ethic will see you fit in with our existing team to deliver some exciting builds lined up for 2019.
Developing alongside our Senior Back End Developer, and supported by junior front-end talent, you will be responsible for delivering large-scale, high-quality development projects that provide a meaningful digital experience aimed towards real business results for our clients.
Law and order are maintained in the studio through our particular flavour of Agile / Scrum project management. You’ll enjoy working alongside some experienced, talented and collaboratively-minded Strategists, Creatives and Producers at various stages of our projects.
As someone in a senior position in the digital team, you will play an active role in shaping our development processes, tools, techniques and the frameworks that we choose to adopt and immerse ourselves within.
You will be enhancing existing engagement in our digital work with colleagues and developing it further within our clients’ teams; demonstrating how our digital work and outlook can be both innovative and effective.
As Senior Front End Developer, you will be responsible for the project and sprint estimations for the work you are delivering, bring recommendations to the team (and clients) and, above all, support your colleagues to see sprints and projects delivered on time and on budget.
- Take ownership of front-end development for our core digital projects from initial conception and architecture, through to the delivery of polished, featureful and bug-free user interfaces.
- Write concise, well organised and (where possible) reusable code; being considerate to other developers collaborating with you or picking up and extending upon your work in the delivery of new features.
- Optimise your creations for maximum performance and scalability to meet the high quality of digital experience expected by our clients whilst catering for high volumes of traffic.
- Strike the right balance between documenting your code and keeping a keen eye on timelines and project delivery.
Workflow and Project Process
- Keep abreast of the latest tools, technologies, and processes for continuous integration and automation tools, highlighting options that will deliver efficiencies in our development workflow.
- Accurately estimate your time to deliver features within your projects and help to define sprint plans according to Agile/Scrum methodologies.
- Implement automated unit tests for your front-end development and ensure all new features and releases pass these tests against the predefined user stories.
- Play a key role in assessing emerging technologies, platforms and frameworks; steering how we explore and adopt suitable options for projects to meet their requirements.
Relationships and Collaboration
- Form a strong working relationship with the Senior Back End Developer to ensure a seamless delivery of features, supporting each other to work as efficiently and coherently as possible during the collaborative elements of project delivery.
- Support the Producers on your project to highlight resource requirements and the expertise required to deliver concurrent projects of various sizes through the studio.
- Engage, educate and nurture junior members of the team as well as the less digital-savvy colleagues coming from other backgrounds.
- Supported by the Producer, you’ll need to confidently discuss project detail with clients and their development partners to ensure successful integrations with our codebase, helping where necessary to translate complex logic to a less technical audience.
- Be an internal champion for the exciting and never-ending possibilities that technology can deliver to the team and strategically consider how these can be introduced to clients.
- Support the requirement to measure the performance of our digital creations, helping the team to report KPIs and success stories back to the client.
- Expert knowledge of pre-processed CSS platforms and able to write scalable and modular CSS/Sass with BEM syntax.
- In-depth knowledge of progressive enhancement, accessibility standards, and usability.
- Strong PHP experience and familiarity with Laravel.
- Strong knowledge of MySQL.
- Solid understanding of web performance and optimisation.
- Experience with Git for version control and continuous integration tools used to managed deployments (CodeDeploy, Ansible, Puppet, Jenkins etc).
- Confident working with various forms of APIs and able to define these with colleagues internally as well as with external development partners.
- Good understanding of SEO best practice and principles for on-site optimisation.
- Some experience of working with TDD, writing automated tests for your front end creations based on user stories (Gherkin, Cucumber, Mocha, etc).
- Experience of working with common open-source CMS and eCommerce applications (notably WordPress, Drupal, Shopify, Magento).
- Still hold an appreciation for the importance of pixel perfect delivery of user interfaces.
Additional experience to work in your favour
- Experience of using React Native and an understanding of its strengths and weaknesses.
- Knowledge of the principles of TypeScript or a willingness to explore its principles.
- Experience of using the Angular JS framework (version 2 or greater).
- Experience of working within a full stack JS application (NodeJS, NoSQL, etc).
- Ability to demonstrate how your curiosity has led to explorations into various front-end programming languages, JS frameworks, and templating tools.
How to apply
To apply for the role, please share your CV and a covering letter to: