London’s fastest-growing digital agency is looking for a senior UX / UI digital designer to work within our alarmingly talented digital, content and performance teams.
- Job title: senior UX/UI digital designer
- Location: London SE1 (nr Waterloo)
- Website: www.mediablazegroup.com
- Function: digital
- Reporting to: head of digital
- Salary: £competitive
About the senior UX/UI digital designer role
Mediablaze is a world-leading digital agency with unrivalled editorial expertise. Founded by editors, publishers and digital specialists with vast experience of building successful media brands, we use customer insight to shape remarkable content-powered digital experiences that help brands grow.
We are currently seeking a Senior Digital UX/UI Designer to join our dedicated digital team. This role is for a hybrid who is equally comfortable exploring the best-in-class solutions to solve both user experience and user interface design challenges.
Reporting to the head of digital, you’ll be responsible for delivering large-scale, high-quality projects that consider content, technical and performance requirements aimed at delivering measurable business results for our clients. You’ll also be responsible for overseeing the work of Juniors (and where necessary freelance creative resource), sharing your expertise to review their work, provide guidance as well as mentor and nurture their creative talents (in the case of internal resource).
Your creative talents will be coupled with your curiosity and desire to understand how and why things work in a certain way. Applying this to solutions that meet the needs of the end user and the clients KPIs will be at the heart of everything you do.
You’ll be comfortable applying agile project management methods to deliver projects on time and within budget. Drawing upon the expertise of your editorial, strategy, creative and development colleagues, you will play an active role inspiring them to deliver excellent work that is both innovative and effective – through a culture that inspires people to go the extra mile.
Practical and creative mindset
- Always look to measure and communicate the effect your creative work will have on the client’s KPIs.
- Be confident in the creation and measurement of the hypotheses relevant to your work.
- Be able to spot the best ideas (at any stage of their creative development) and nurture them into effective solutions to meet the brief in question.
- Embrace multiple ideas from a team and be willing to explore ideas that you don’t intuitively support.
- Support a culture of sharing constructive creative feedback for others and help to nurture a creative environment where all team members feel valued.
- Be able to understand and assess the value provided by strategy, branding, marketing, development and commercial disciplines in your assessment of the most effective creative approach to a brief.
Guardian of excellence
- Consistently demonstrate your passion for driving creative excellence, delivering the best user experiences and high quality creative output.
- Monitor and assess the quality of work created to ensure you’re happy that it meets the brief and hits the strategic goals of your clients.
- Ensure adherence to brand guidelines and key digital principles (front end frameworks or grids, responsive behaviours, user devices and interactions, etc).
- Embrace routine peer reviews of digital and content creative work (with internal and contracted creatives), to ensure the best possible creative delivery is achieved.
- Lead by example in the diligent management and versioning of your artwork files; have consideration for the next creative to pick these up in the future.
Agile and creative project processes
- Seek input from all teams in the agency to define the best creative process for the delivery of digital and content creative work.
- Embrace the agency’s flavour of Agile processes and confidently deliver your work within these to ensure the smooth delivery of your work.
- Evangelise agile methodology to your colleagues and key creative stakeholders within our clients.
Routinely demonstrate progression towards the completion of project deliverables, highlight potential issues and provide solutions to help de-risk their potential impact.
- Write and challenge client briefs for any size of digital project and provide guidance for others on best practice in brief writing.
- Seek and provide feedback on projects and carry out wash-ups with the contributors to project deliverables.
Confidently manage internal and client-facing workshops to define project goals, personas, user stories and the support measurement framework underpinning these.
- Continually assess the best process for the requirements of each brief, feeding in new best practice and methodology where appropriate.
Project delivery and commercial awareness
- Be accountable for the delivery of creative work to the agreed timelines and be aware of the impact on the wider project delivery where slippage may be occurring.
- Ensure your contribution to projects is routinely updated and that time estimates for outstanding deliverables are clearly and accurately communicated.
- Be considerate of each project budget when it comes to internal resource allocation and sourcing the right external talent where necessary.
- Provide cost effective solutions to the delivery of creative work without sacrificing the quality of creative output.
- Be an advocate for Mediablaze’s service offering and how our creative output drives business results through our key pillars of content, platforms and performance.
- Keep abreast of developments in the world of digital marketing and speak with authority and passion on the contribution creative work to your colleagues and our clients.
- Monitor the emergence of new tools, applications, methods of automation, project processes and creative techniques. Be able to outline how these can impact on the capabilities of the team and the efficiency of our creative talent.
- Promote and stand up for the creative processes you help to define for the creative team; ensure internal stakeholders are fully aware of these processes and use any breaches as an opportunity to reaffirm or reassess the process.
- Be able to mentor, supervise and coach creative talent within the agency.
- Find way to encourage development and train creative colleagues in new skills and methods.
- Run appraisals for your line reports with regular (quarterly) check-ins.
- Encourage the development of all creative talent within the agency and promote the sharing of knowledge across client accounts.
- Support a culture of open peer reviews that run in any direction i.e. Senior > Junior, Junior > Senior.
- Lead and contribute to the development of creative concepts for pitches to existing and prospective new clients.
- Be able to present creative concepts to senior stakeholders and demonstrate the impact these can have on their business goals.
- Use your existing relationships to identify new client opportunities for the agency and talented individuals who may strengthen our team.
Requirements for the role
- You will already have 5+ years of experience in a professional, digital creative, agency environment.
- Expert knowledge of Sketch, Invision and Adobe Creative Suite (notably Photoshop, Illustrator, XD).
- Experience using Adobe After Effects would also be beneficial.
- Experience using Zeplin (or equivalent) automated handover methods for developers.
- Outstanding portfolio demonstrating an analytical approach to user experience work and the development of this into high effective user interfaces with demonstrable results.
- Gravitas and instant credibility internally and externally.
- Proven track record working with key clients within the digital marketing space.
- Experience of managing and delivery against large-scale digital creative brief.
- Proven track record of presenting to client decision makers.
- A desire to work in a close knit, highly successful team with clear accountability.
- Ability to thrive in a fluid and fast-paced environment with excellent organisational skills.
- Bags of energy, dedication, commercial acumen and creative flair.
Opportunities for growth
You will not only work within a team of digital practitioners of varying levels, but also alongside experts in other fields (strategy, content, publishing, commercial, etc). You will be surrounded by experienced practitioners that will allow you to flourish in your role and collaborative on new ideas and methods to improve our workflow.
Although this role is a relatively even split between UX and UI at the moment, you will be joining as the most senior digital creative. As the team grows, you’ll be able to steer your role towards an emphasis in either discipline and/or to dedicate more time to the mentoring, direction and growth of the creative team as a whole.
At Mediablaze we take our work seriously. We also take having fun at work very seriously. We’re based at WeWork (Stamford Street, Waterloo, London) – providing a relaxed, flexible, fun and entrepreneurial environment, with numerous coffee machines, table tennis and foosball tables and the legendary, and frankly underused, beer and cider taps on the 1st floor.
With plenty of breakout areas and cubbys to stash yourself within work hours around the office, we encourage our teams to work in the way that suits them best.
Working hours are 9.30am to 5.30pm (designed to soften the blow of the London commute).
On occasion, when we need to meet a tight deadline or pitch for an exciting new opportunity, we’ll burn the midnight oil, but we certainly don’t make a habit of it. And with plenty of coffee, tea, biscuits and those free beer and cider taps on the 1st floor. it’s easy to go that extra mile with a passionate team of like-minded individuals.
You’ll get 25 days per year of annual leave, including the closed office days between Christmas / New Year and excluding UK Public Holidays. This allowance runs to the calendar year and is pro rata’d for mid-term appointments. An additional day is granted for each completed year of service (up to a total cap of 28 days per annum).
Who are Mediablaze & who do we work with
We are an award-winning digital agency with unrivalled editorial expertise, we create connected customer experiences that help brands grow. We were founded in London in 2010 by a group of editors, publishers and digital evangelists who saw that technology was reshaping the way people relate to brands. As part of iCrossing’s digital marketing network, we offer integrated capabilities and global reach specialising in strategy, content, creative, tech, SEO, PPC, media and data.
Our clients include household names and globally recognisable brands including the likes of Speedo, Volvo, Jaguar Land Rover, Timberland, Sofa.com and Shiseido to name but a few.
How to apply
Think you have what it takes? Send us your CV and tell us why you think you’re right for the role: [email protected]